Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hoop House Progress






It looks as if I picked the right year to put in a Hoop House because it has been very cool and wet this month in Northern Utah, and I have been unable to do much planting or any tilling outside. What I have planted is barely sprouting and a few weeks behind normal schedule at best. But the plants inside the Hoop House have been progressing at a excellent pace. My peas are getting ready to set flowers, the cabbage is doing well and the lettuce and spinach is ready to be picked.

Even on a cool, cloudy day, I find that my Hoop House can buy me a least 20 extra degrees of heat. A problem to watch out in the future is when it finally gets warm and sunny, I have to be careful and not overheat everything. Usually opening the doors in the morning can keep the temperature under control for the day.

I have also planted tomatoes in the center strip, and they seem to be doing well at the moment. In the center rack I have some onion plants growing, along with some squash and melon starts. Starting plants in the Hoop House is experimental, so we'll see what happens. With a little luck I should get some sprouts from them in a few days, as long as I don't fry them or drop the dang things, which is always a threat!

No comments:

Post a Comment