Sunday, May 8, 2011

Planting Time


We actually had a few days of nice weather in Northern Utah, and I had the chance to get some long overdue seeds into the ground. On May 7th, I was able to plant beets, carrots and potatoes.


I like to plant my beets and carrots in three parallel rows. I run my tiller down where I want to put my row, which makes nice ridges about thirty inches apart. Then I smooth out the center of the row with a rake, make some furrows with a tongue and groove board, and plant the seeds in the furrows. I just sprinkle the carrot seeds in the furrow as evenly as I can, but I usually over seed, because carrots always require thinning.



Carrot seeds are really small, but I find beet seeds easier to handle. Beet seeds are actually a cluster of about three to five seeds assembled in a corky nodule. My favorite variety of beet has always been Detroit Dark Red, though I also am growing a golden variety called Detroit Gold. Why some beet seeds have the name Detroit in them, I have no idea. My favorite carrot variety is Danvers Half Long, which seems to work well in my heavy clay soil.


They are easier to space out in the furrow, but because of the seed cluster, it always requires thinning later. After I cover up the seeds, I water them in. With carrots, it's important to to keep the soil moist until they begin to sprout.


 With the nice weather, I was also able to make some progress in the rest of the garden. I was even able to get my fourteen year old son out to help me out a bit. We took down some of last season's plant supports and irrigation pipes, pulled the dang mallow weeds, and was able to plant potatoes. Our favorite varieties of potatoes are Yukon Gold and Red Pontiac. I also like to plant a blue variety, but I have not found some yet this season at my local nursery.

2 comments:

  1. I heard from some random lady at Shopko this week that a clever way to ensure good spacing on your carrot seeds ( because they are so small and can be difficult to handle ) is to add sand with your seeds, about a 50/50 mix and then spread that down your rows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @macblender: I have heard of that idea before, but I really need to try it! Maybe I will give it a shot when I plant carrots for fall. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete