Monday, September 6, 2010

Sweet Corn

Every year I enjoy fresh sweet corn from my garden. This year I have been growing "Peaches and Cream", a bicolor SE variety from Mountain State Seeds. This year it has been growing very well, even though the ears are a little on the small size, and the earworms have been pretty active. I have not been using any commercial fertilizer on my crop this year. Last season I did apply a lot of lawn clippings to the soil, hoping that it would provide enough nitrogen and other nutrients to the soil. I also did a manure tea experiment with some of the corn this year, with no visible benefit observed. I do have plenty of chicken manure available to me, and I was hoping to find a different way to take advantage of this resource. I have been coming to the end of my first crop of sweet corn, and the second crop should be ready towards the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment