Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wintertime Hoop House Gardening/Give Peas a Chance


The Hoop House after yet another winter snowstorm, February 26th.

Even though it sometimes can be cold and partly cloudy outside, I have found that my Hoop House can buy me an extra 20-30 degrees during a partly cloudy to sunny day. It's not bad, but I need to work to retain some of that heat during the night so that I will not get too cold and damage the young plants.



I went out and planted my first seeds in the greenhouse on February 6th.  I planted green peas, snow peas, turnips, lettuce and cilantro, which will soon be followed by spinach. As of February 27th, I have noted the peas, turnips and lettuce emerging.


                                                          Emerging snow peas


                                                            Turnip seedlings

Being that this is my first season attempting to grow anything in the new Hoop House, I guess that I am going to have to consider any growing this year as just an experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment